Henry F. Schricker, the first twice-elected governor of Indiana, was born on August 30, 1883, at North Judson, Indiana. He attended school in North Judson and on finishing his education there, decided to become a lawyer. He worked in the county clerk's office in Knox for one year and studied law on the side. After passing the bar examination of those days, he practiced law with his mentor, Adrian Courtright, in Knox.
In 1907 he became the cashier of the Hamlet Bank. In 1908, he purchased the Starke County Democrat and was its publisher and editor until 1919, when he sold the paper.
Henry Schricker then joined the First National Bank of Knox as cashier and remained with the bank until 1932. In the same year he was elected state senator on the Democratic ticket. He was elected Lieutenant Governor in 1936 and in 1940 was elected governor. Serving during the war years he kept a tight rein on the financed of the state and the treasury built up an impressive balance.
Leaving the governor's office in 1944, he joined the American Fletcher National Bank and Trust Company of Indianapolis. In 1948, he again ran for governor and won, becoming the first man to be elected governor of Indiana for two terms. After completing his second term he became one of the founders of Wabash Fire and Casualty Insurance Company of Indianapolis.
To learn more about Governor Schricker and his wife, visit their display at the Starke County History Center.